Growing marijuana can be a money-saving and therapeutic hobby, or side hustle, but before you plant the seed – do your research. Understanding your environment can impact the type of strains you should grow and how you should grow them. Growing marijuana takes attention and skill too, so be sure you enjoy the process and equip yourself with the necessary knowledge and supplies. Keep reading as we explore the best cannabis strains to grow indoors for beginners and experts.
Best Strains to Grow Indoors
Qualities of a good marijuana strain
As a new marijuana grower, it can be overwhelming to get started. From multiple strains to lights and grow tents, there’s a lot of factors to consider. The best way to set yourself up for success is to do research but also to order a starter kit. The BudGrower offers personalized home kits that align with your needs and ambitions. Bonus – our starter kits also come with three months free support with access to professional advice. Our kits do not come with seeds, but if you live in a marijuana friendly area, it should be easy to get your hands on some. The three main strains of marijuana are:
- Sativa. Best for reducing anxiety or stress while increasing focus and creativity,
- Indica. Offers full-body effects. Can help with relaxation and sleep.
- Hybrid. There are certain hybrid strains that will offer a mix of the two main categories.
Before you order your kit, decide which strain you want to grow and how to tell if your strain is good or not once it flowers. Here are some qualities of a good marijuana strain:
- Smell/taste. Marijuana does have a taste. From skunky to fruity smells, scent can impact your experience. Furthermore, the taste can impact experience too. Pay attention to these factors as you choose seeds and grow.
- Quality. Whether you’re using marijuana recreationally or medically, you’ll want to get a high from it. Understanding your limits will help you grow the perfect quality strain.
- Looks matter. Just as the flowers in your Grandma’s garden, looks of marijuana can say a lot silently. Nugs should be bright and robust, although they can vary in color. Use your judgment here. Look for trichomes and stickiness – these can be signs of high quality flowers.
Are all weed strains suitable for indoor growing?
While you can grow most weed strains indoors, some may thrive better than others. Indoor growers have a lot more control over the environment which should expand options when growing. The important part is to have the right equipment and understand what you’re growing. It may take time and trial and error, but stick with the process. Eventually, you’ll be growing quality marijuana indoors. To allow yourself more time to enjoy the growing process and less time worrying about setup and equipment, try using a kit that comes with everything you need. From home grow kits to soil and nutrients, The BudGrower has everything you need to successfully grow weed strains indoors.
Once you have your grow space setup, consider the following strains for indoor growing:
- Blue Dream
- Banana Kush
- OG Kush
Keep in mind that strain names can vary depending on the manufacturer of seeds. We encourage you to reach out for advice at The BudGrower or other trusted sources to promote success.
Best strain to grow indoors for beginners
As you begin the growing journey, you’ll want to set yourself up for success. Remember that the products you use to grow can be more important than the strain itself. In addition, you must educate yourself on the actual process. Knowing what to look out for and when to change the environment are critical. When you purchase a BudGrower kit, you can take advantage of 3 months free support which can truly make all the difference on your experience. When you’re ready, consider the following strains that are ideal for beginner indoor growers.
#1. Blue Dream
Just the name of this popular strain makes you ready for a nap under the sky. And, when properly grown, the experience is one you’ll want again and again. It’s also one of the easiest strains to grow, thus making it perfect for beginners. Blue Dream breeds a mellow experience with full-body effects. You’ll enjoy a calm state of mind and a little extra creativity.
If you’re looking for something stronger than Blue Dream, consider Harlequin. It’s a good choice for beginners due to its high CBD:THC ratio, making it easier to dose. Patients describe it as euphoric yet calming, a fun combo. This strain flowers quickly and is resilient. You can grow it hydropnically or in soil.
#3. Grandaddy Purple “GDP”
Grandaddy purple is an ideal strain for beginners, whether smoking or growing. It’s best kept indoors and will require close attention to pruning and humidity, but we encourage you to give this strain a shot. Known as a sweet indica, this strain provides an anxiety-relieving and sleepy high. It can also provide pain relief.
Best feminized weed strains to grow indoors
Feminized or female weed strains are genetically engineered. Feminized seeds can be easier to grow, thus making them popular for beginners. These strains are often bred to maximize potency and smell. When growing, you can save time as you eliminate the need to discard male plants. Lastly, feminized strains are usually light cycle-dependent so you’ll need to adjust light/dark schedules if growing indoors. In most cases, schedules will be adjusted when the plant reaches the right height, which is usually about half of the final height. Some of the best feminized strains to grow indoors include:
- White Widow
- Purple Kush
- Grandaddy Purple
- Northern Lights
Best sativa strains to grow indoors
As we mentioned earlier, sativa can be used throughout the day for an energetic high. However, sativa strains can present challenges when growing indoors such as its height. Therefore, selecting the right strains will be important. Here are some of the top sativa strains for indoor growing.
- Maui Wowie: As a legendary sativa strain, Maui Wowie can flower in just 9-11 weeks. Known for its unique fruity flavor and unmatched quality, Maui Wowie can be sold for high prices. All the more reason to grow your own.
- Trainwreck: Trainwreck is a popular sativa to grow indoors thanks to its height, or lack of it. If you’re looking for a pure sativa strain, this may not be the best option as it’s typically sativa-dominant, but can have indicia effects. On the brightside, this strain can flower in about 9 weeks!
- AK-47: Hence the name, this strain is powerful. This mostly sativa strain only reaches about four feet high making it an ideal indoor sativa strain. Plus, it can flower in just about 9 weeks!
Best indica weed strains to grow indoors
Indica strains are typically shorter and bushier compared to sativa strains, so you shouldn’t have to worry so much about height when growing indoors. Best for sleeping or nighttime use, there are a variety of indica strains that offer a body high. Here are a few indica strains that are best grown indoors.
- Blue cheese: This strain is ideal for growing indoors and can resist stressors such as pests, mold, and over or under-watering. Its resilience makes it a good choice for beginners. Blue Cheese can be grown indoors or outdoors, but indoors will help you easily train the plant. With short flowering times and high yields, this indica-dominant strain can be used for pain and stress relief to help unwind from a long day.
- Papaya: This indica-dominant strain can flower in just 8 weeks and is best grown indoors. With a papaya-like smell, it thrives in stressful conditions. For busy growers, this is ideal.
Best high yield weed strains to grow indoors
Of course you’ll want to reduce efforts and maximize results, so try these top 5 high yield strains for growing indoors:
- Lemon Shining Silver Haze
- Royal Skywalker
- Skunk XL
- Blue Dream
- White Widow
And don’t forget, the environment your plants grow in will impact the harvest. For soil and hydroponic setups, shop The BudGrower for quality supplies and expert support.
Best high potency strains to grow indoors
For 2022, Godfather OG is one of the most potent strains worldwide. This strain can be grown indoors or outdoors and is known for producing a head-high that transitions into a whole-body euphoric high. The PacMan OG is also known for its potency and can be grown indoors.
Growing requires plenty of research, but it’s worth the investment. If you’re growing indoors you’ll want to get your space set up. To simplify the setup process, shop BudGrower kits that have everything you need to grow. If you plan to grow in soil, you can also order high quality nutrients at The BudGrower that will keep plants thriving. When you’re ready, order some seeds and watch your plants grow. The BudGrower was created by a team of growing experts dedicated to providing high quality, durable, and user-friendly growing kits and supplies with an explanation. In effort to truly be a valued partner in your growing experience, we vow to walk you through the indoor growing process and help you put our products to use. We’re sure you’ll have plenty of questions along the way, so come back and see us for more support.